Monday, March 30, 2009

Another Monday PM

Tom coughed and puked for 6 hrs Sun night. I gave him the option of the ER or a doc in the daylight. He opted to wait until daylight, which was fine. He is at Barnes again. The pulm Fellow that has been following us seemed a little annoyed that I wanted him admitted, but there is only so much I can take care of and watch him go through. I am sick, Colby has ear infections, and Tom was just more than I could deal with. We think one of the lymph nodes is sitting on a nerve to stimulate the cough reflex. We didn't see the Thoracic surgeons today, so I don't know if anything will really happen tomorrow. The other option is to deal with Interventional Pulmonology - think of IV contrast and real-time chest x-rays or CT scan. They can biopsy a lymph node that way - less invasive, but nobody seems thrilled with that option. The bottom line is that there is no treatment until we figure out what we're treating, and we don't know that until after a biopsy. Then let's get the biopsy done. This isn't rocket science!! He has lost 25 lbs in 2 weeks, he's not eating, he's not sleeping, he has gone through all of his sick leave and a good chunk of vacation time, he's depressed that he can't do simple things like read a book to Colby without coughing and getting out of breath, and the goofball is worried about money. I love him that he's worried about us, but spend that energy elsewhere!

Ok, I have vented for all the world to hear, and now I'm going to bed - right after I enjoy my antibiotics. Life is really not that bad, but I'm sleep-deprived so it seems like it is. The Son always rises, right, Sheila?

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Yes, Marcy....the SON/sun ALWAYS rises! Let me know when you get going today so I can know how we can help.....although I didn't do anything yesterday except call your mom-in-law. I'm moving my other kid home today, so don't know how much help I'll be, but I can certainly network and get help for you if I can't do it myself.