Monday, February 2, 2009

Wii, Alzheimer's & Snow

From Evan to Tom - Dad, when you and Mom die, can I have the Wii?

Tom? - God willing, Son, we'll be on our third or fourth Wii, or you'll be old enough to buy your own.

It was a tragic week. I dropped and broke the Nintendo screen. Tom ordered the parts to fix it, but the computer geek couldn't get it to work when he soldered wires and put it back together. Have you ever taken one apart? Pretty intricate and delicate. Maybe we should have given it to Colby to let him fix it. Dang it, we were going to give it to Colby and get Evan a new one for his birthday so they'd stop fighting over it, but now that's goofed up. We told them they were wireless until his bday in March. We also have invested in a b-ball goal for the driveway. Evan is playing Upward b-ball and loving it. Mom, I really really really want a goal for my bday. That's all I want. Thank you, Wal-Mart for your $0.97 shipping. I'll gladly have it delivered to my house for that! It was a better deal than what I found on Craigslist.

My mom went to visit her sister this week - alzheimer's - went to the nsg home in October. She has very fleeting moments of lucidity, but for the most part doesn't wake up. She's not eating on her own, and it takes several people to help her walk anywhere. She was always a gracious hostess, always fussing over food and asking how you slept, taking an interest in my hospital and my job. She was a nurse, my mom followed her footsteps, and so loved to hear about the big city stories - so different from her rural community hospital. By the time my sis and I had kids, she was in the beginning stages and had a hard time keeping track of who was who, but always asked about the little kids running around at family gatherings.

We had a great snowstorm this week. Perhaps you were there... ice on Tuesday, and 6" of snow Tuesday night. Of course, I had to make it to work on Wed am. I was a little late, and love the metrolink! The first 20 feet are the hardest - kinda like going on vacation. The hardest part is getting out of the driveway! Looking forward to a warm end of the week, and walking outside again. The winter is starting to get long.

1 comment:

Steve Elkins said...

Marcy,
I am so sorry to hear about your Aunt Virginia...I'm sure that's extremely hard for your mom to watch. Please give your mom a great big hug for me the next time you see her. The situation is in my prayers!
Steve