Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Week Later

And so it is a week post-mastectomies...

The incisions are pretty yucky, I must say.  My arms are still bruised from IV sticks, and the tape residue won't come off easily.  The post-op instructions were pretty much "go home, sit in a chair and don't move for the next 2 weeks."  I find that hard to do, but am trying to comply.  A 1/2 gallon of milk is too heavy for me to lift.  In the normal world, under your skin is the fatty breast tissue, and under that is the pectoral muscle.  In the reconstructed world, the docs want the skin to stick itself to the pec muscle, and the tissue expanders go under the muscles.  The more I move my arms, the less the muscle adheres to the skin.  Anatomy 202.

Went to the Plastics PA today, and she pulled 2 of the 4 drains that I have.  They are little grenade-shaped plastic balls with tubing into my chest wall that drain fluid.  Tom or my mom have to empty them three times a day and record the amounts.  They are a bit painful - the best I can describe it is a really bad underwire bra that just keeps poking me in the same spot.  Sometimes I can reposition myself to make it less bothersome, but it never really goes away.

I still can't make it through the day without an afternoon nap.  I am madly in love with my new recliner.  I had no idea just how useful the automatic foot lift and back adjuster button would be.  I can't use my arms to propel myself forward, and don't have a ton of leg strength to kick the foot of a recliner down.  There is no way I could sleep in a bed at this point in life.  Or at least no way to get up from laying flat.

I can take a shower, but it's a group activity since I can't wash my head or move my arms much.  And no deodorant or antiperspirant... late June.  Sorry if I stink, Folks, but not much I can do about it.

My fridge has stayed full thanks to Becky, Rita, Beth, Yvonne and Pam later this week. 

The big kid is at Scout camp til Saturday.  The little kid thinks he is king of the house this week.  The hubs has been wonderful the last week, and I am thankful for a light workload for him this week, too.  He has been home a little earlier than usual, which makes me very happy!

No comments: